Titanium JIRA Archive
Titanium SDK/CLI (TIMOB)

[TIMOB-2131] Android - Umlauts/unicode issues

GitHub Issuen/a
Resolution Date2011-04-17T01:58:11.000+0000
Affected Version/sn/a
Fix Version/sRelease 1.5.0
Labelsandroid, defect, unicode
ReporterThomas Huelbert
AssigneeDon Thorp


1.create a project, and on the edit tab add words to fields using umlauts (übersichtlich)
2.query the values

results: umlauts appear as ✓°

expected: umlauts? not setting priority or state, assigned to Don for triage.


  1. julian 2011-04-15

    I assume "1.create a project, and on the edit tab add words to fields
    using umlauts (übersichtlich)"
    this is create project in the titanium mobile, right?
    seems not a bug, I type both å and Chinese into copyright field,
    both looks correct after save and switch back.

    what am I miss here?

  2. Don Thorp 2011-04-15

    I believe Thomas means for you to create a program that queries the values using Ti.Platform and check them after they've been logged.

  3. Thomas Huelbert 2011-04-15

    Hey Julian, you could use kitchensink to do this:

    1.open kitchen sink in Titanium Developer
    2.On the edit tab add the characters to the fields (publisher, description fields)
    3.save and launch the project in the sim/device
    4.Platform tab>Application Data queries and displays the info

  4. julian 2011-04-15

    tiapp.xml stores correct utf8 chars, so it is the android side has issues.

  5. julian 2011-04-15

    so it is Titanium.App.getDescription() those method may return wrong data

  6. julian 2011-04-15

    by searching getDescription, I found several places in java code handles this
    one is
    AppInfo.java is auto generated.

          public String getDescription() {
                  return "${app_info['description']}";

    others are all just return save string

    is there a doc about the call path of js calls?
    such as how Titanium.App.getDescription() runs in the appcelerator?

  7. julian 2011-04-15

    ok, so the problem is code generates KitchensinkAppInfo is not utf8, it generates
    public String getPublisher() {

           return " 误¨¨¨å";


    where is the code to generates the code?

  8. julian 2011-04-15

    ok, so the problem is eclipse project property, code text is not utf8, once I change it, then it works.

  9. julian 2011-04-15

    however, end user can't use eclipse, so to fix it, need to fix the build system, to indicate code file is utf8

  10. julian 2011-04-15

    ok, the fix is add

    when it generates project

  11. julian 2011-04-15

    this setting is used by eclipse, so the appcelerator build needs other settings

  12. julian 2011-04-15

    fixed by the patch, also push to git@github.com:jq/titanium_mobile

  13. Don Thorp 2011-04-15

    Please review and pull the patch.

  14. Marshall Culpepper 2011-04-15

    Thanks Julian, I've merged your fix:
    https://github.com/appcelerator/titanium_mobile/commit/43057a9722b995f5661d46f4cae1449feaadd117"> https://github.com/appcelerator/titanium_mobile/commit/43057a9722b9...

    Marking as fixed

  15. Thomas Huelbert 2011-04-15

    closed against G2 2.2 G1 1.6 sim 2.1

JSON Source